immigration translation

Dual citizenship – What is it?

Dual citizenship is when a person is having the nationality of two countries and is recognized as a citizen in both countries simultaneously. It is not easy to attain dual citizenship as different countries have different rules and certain countries don’t permit dual citizenship, so it always best to check before applying for one. When you are applying for a green card it is a must that you submit documents like a birth certificate and other necessary documents. When submitting make sure all the documents are in English. So it is best to use certified translation services for immigration.

Different countries have different Immigration requirements. Every country has its policy and laws.  In certain cases a person may have dual citizenship i.e if a child is born in a foreign country and their parents are United States nationals, then the child could be a dual citizen in both the United States and the country of birth.

Is dual citizenship allowed in the U.S? What are the requirements?

Yes in the United States you can get dual citizenship but there is no form or application for it. You must have certain requirements for applying for second citizenship in the United States. Like you should have had a green card i.e permanent resident for at least 3 years or 5 years. 3 years is for those who are filing as a spouse of a United States citizen. 5 years are for the ones who were working. While applying for citizenship in the United States you must also make sure that your permanent resident card is valid and renewed. All the documents must be in English.

You must use professional immigration translation services. Then next is you must be at least 18 years old and must be able to read, write and speak in English. If you have dual citizenship in the United States and some other country, each time you leave and enter the United States you must use a United States passport. When you apply for second citizenship in the United States it can take up to 18 months for the process to be completed.

Do’s for Dual citizens in the U.S

If you are granted a dual citizen or already a dual citizen then it is a must that you abide by the rules and regulations of both countries. Being a dual citizen in the United States you have benefits like you can apply for a job anywhere in the United States and you will not need a work visa.

You can travel anywhere around the world and stay as long as you want. You need not have a re-entry permit. You can go to school without having to pay international student fees and a student visa. You can vote in the United States election. Your family members i.e your parents, children can apply for a green card. Once you have received your citizenship you have to pay United States taxes even if your income is from a Foreign country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *